Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Winding up!

Ja I'm here in Plymouth. MAET stuff! I just realized I'm supposed to do a couple things on this here blog. So let's get to it, hopalong!

1. We are living in an increasingly small world thanks to the wonders of technology--specifically the CCTV.
2. I want to show motion of some kind. Some kinetic thing but one person is singled out.  I want the reader/viewer/watcher to feel almost like a voyeur. The other folks are blurred out, but one guy is sharp and focused.  I want the viewer to glance around when they're done on Friday. On their way back to dorms/cars/whatever, I'd like for people to glance up and around in a sick kind of homage to Alan Funt. Are we on camera? 

I guess I'd like to elicit some creepiness. Not a vomitous creepiness, but an unsettling creepiness. It's a fun thing to be safe. We should all be safe. But exactly where that lies is up to the viewer.

3. Using that one dude's ideas of flow and lines, I thought it would be best to border three sides with cameras. Each one forces your eyes into the middle. I WAS going to take pictures of 30 or 50 cameras out here in Plymouth but I decided against that. I only have a 50mm non zoom lense and some pictures would simply not work due to distance. Instead the flipping of images works just as well, I think.

No accident that I used google images for the tippy top two. I was trying to make you think of some kinda of eyeballs.

Let's get back to the first .8 seconds of viewing this. Your eyes are physically forced to the middle of the picture. But wait a tic, it's like an eye exam. Everything is blurry! The one person who isn't stands out. Looks almost cartoony (I didn't do anything special to Larson). So now the reader is asking why just one person is blurry. Don't CCTV cameras capture everyone? That's my point. It DOES capture everyone, but I want this to be individual. Guess what? YOU, YOU are one of the herd, one of the people being interviewed, dissected, and videotaped.

I'm gonna stop typing because I don't want to ruin my Monday reflection thing. Bye bye.

No comments: