Sunday, June 29, 2008

Corporations trying to catch up

So this isn't about my iVideo or my iImage, but I wanted to document this because it reminded me of what that Jochaim dude said on TED the other day...open source, how content is being decided by the PEOPLE and the megalomaniacal corporations are now either playing catchup or taking cues from the little people. I thought this was a sad but kinda fun and tiny example. 

Two years ago I remember watching this fun website where folks got together to FREEZE. Im sure you've seen it too. They meet in a park and a guy comes on with a bullhorn and tells everyone to set watches together. Then at 11:05 you freeze. Then at 11:10 unfreeze, then at 11:15 you slow walk. Link is here:


It was funny, they've done a bunch more, more non-ImproveEverywhere people joined in. But it was still at the local level. Then just this morning I see this one. Watching it I got a little suspect because the camera angles were too good. Then at the end I realized it was a marketing campaign. So now corporations are trying to tap into this niche to make a viral campaign. Oh well. Like this COOL video done by PBS in 02, Merchants of Cool, freeze motion has now been adopted by The Man, so it's now no longer going to be cool. Shame. I really like the idea behind it!


No comments: