Saturday, March 1, 2008

So this was bound to happen

Almost every wiki has a chatbox on their main page. I actually encourage students to create one because it's so immediate and it's there on the page. I just checked on the wikis tonight and I saw one student who was upset because someone left a mean message on their wikiciv. I saw the message and I posted a general notice to everyone to be respectful and helpful to everyone else. It took me a minute to figure out who it was, and I'll talk to the student when I see her again on Tuesday. I also made sure everyone knew just how easy it is for the offended party to find out who posted it (the chatbox has an option that allows the creator to check the name/ISP of anyone who posts...how deliciously diabolical!).

I told one and all that this is their only warning. I hope no one else decides to be immature and leave a "your page sux lol!!1!11!" message. If they do, they'll be banned from the wiki, receive a zero on the next assessment, and we all get to have a Corleone-style sitdown with me, the student, their parents, and our AP. These are honors kids so I really doubt I'll have a problem:)

5 comments:

Stephanie_Richardson said...

What a fantastic photo! Someone wonderful must have taken that photo of you and your parents! Check out the photo I posted on my OTHER blog (see my profile on the MSU blog and you'll see the link...) I'm so tickled with myself ;-)

Stephanie_Richardson said...

Oh, and yeah, it was bound to happen. But I think it's really important for us to give kids the opportunity to try and to mess up while they are with us and it's safe to do so. Better that they tried this with the class than in a dark alley in Patpong during Songkran!

Paula L said...

hey john,
just read your post. thanks.
ok my wiki site is http://leporescience.wetpaint.com/?zone=freshcoat_7&t=anon

I will get back on top of it all this week. send me your wiki and I will check out your request as well.

paula

Paula L said...

john...the link is now on my blog page as well

Reece L said...

Hey John,
Sorry for the late reply but I was out with students for a week and then sick for most of last week. Anyway, my email is reecelennon@gmail.com